The Deutsche Schule Durban has traditionally had mostly pupils from homes where at least one parent speaks German, but increasingly they have found there are more families wanting to give their child the benefit of learning German as an additional language.
Besides using both English and German as mediums of instruction, the DSD also offers evening classes from grades 8 to 12 for German as an additional Matric subject.
Medium of instruction
- Kindergarten – Gr 4: German
- Gr 5 – 7: English, with compulsory German lessons
- English lessons, beginning in Gr 3
- Afrikaans lessons, beginning in Gr 4
- Zulu lessons, beginning in Gr 5